Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2001.026.064
Object Name Rule, Slide
Description Slide rule for Computing diets for diabetics, with brief instruction booklet. Used by Dr. Morris Abramovitz in his doctor's office.
Plastic slide rule, in faux-leather flat case. "From the Laboratories of Eli Lilly and Company"
Rule marked: "Use this side for determining grams of carbohydrate, fat, and protein" and (other side) "Use this side for determining caloric requirements"
booklet (staples have been removed) was folded to fit into case; comprises two pieces of paper, printed on all sides.
Width (in) 8.75
People Abramovitz, Morris (Dr.)
Subjects Medicine
Doctor, Jewish
Men, Jewish
Classification
East Street
Notes Note: Dr. Morris Abramovitz came to America from Lithuania at the turn of the 20th century. He attended University of Maryland Medical School from 1902-1906 and was also a Yeshiva graduate. He opened his medical practice on 1705-07 E. Baltimore Street, and practiced there for over 45 years. He treated Jews and Gentiles, and spoke 17 different languages which enabled him to care for many immigrant patients. Dr. Abramovitz invented the Combined Method intravenous injection for treating Venereal Disease that mixed neosalvor and salvarsan. Dr. Abramovitz received the patent for his apparatuz in February 1914, and he used a wood-block illustration of his invention on many notes, correspondence and scholarly publications.

Dr. Abramowitz was an Orthodox Jew. He was a member of Aitz Chaim Synagogue on Eden Street, and served on their Board of Directors. He had an orthodox home and observed Sabbath. He had two sons, Leonard, who practiced medicine with him, A. Norman, and a daughter, Evelyn Barrash. According to his family, Morris had an excellent sense of humor and was a great story teller. He had a story or anecdote for every occasion.
Condition Not rated
Dimension type 1
Imagefile 145\2001026064.JPG
Lexicon sub-category Data Processing T&E