Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number IA 1.0239
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Color photograph of a segment of the chandelier in the Lloyd Street Synagogue. The photo shows the gold center and the supportive wires of the chandelier. The left side of the photo is blacked out. Written on the back of the photo is "LSS Chandelier 7/27/1999." The photo was removed from the JMM IA: Lloyd St. Mikveh Excavation, 1998 Binder
Date July 27, 1999
Condition Fair
Search Terms Lloyd Street Synagogue
Baltimore Hebrew Congregation
St. John the Baptist
Shomrei Mishmeres
Jewish Historical Society of Maryland
Jewish Museum of Maryland
Chandelier
Notes The Lloyd Street Synagogue was built in 1845 by the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. The Baltimore Hebrew Congregation expanded the building in 1860 then sold it in 1889 and constructed a new temple on Madison Avenue. A Lithuanian Roman Catholic Congregation, called St. John the Baptist, purchased the Lloyd Street building from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation and used it until 1905 when they sold the building to the Jewish Congregation of Shomrei Mishmeres. The Shomrei Mishmeres Congregation sold the building to the newly formed Jewish Historical Society in 1963. The Jewish Historical Society is now known as the Jewish Museum of Maryland.
Imagefile 086\IA 10239.JPG