Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number IA 1.1065.7
Object Name Photograph, Digital
Description Digital color photograph of Esther Read (archeologist at left) and assistant re-excavating the 1845 mikveh excavation in the lower level of the Lloyd Street Synagogue.
Photographer Jennifer Vess
Date 11/05/2010
Condition Excellent
Search Terms Lloyd Street Synagogue
Baltimore Hebrew Congregation
St. John the Baptist
Shomrei Mishmeres
Jewish Historical Society of Maryland
Jewish Museum of Maryland
archeology
Notes The Lloyd Street Synagogue was built in 1845 by the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. The Baltimore Hebrew Congregation expanded the building in 1860 then sold it in 1889 and constructed a new temple on Madison Avenue. A Lithuanian Roman Catholic Congregation, called St. John the Baptist, purchased the Lloyd Street building from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation and used it until 1905 when they sold the building to the Jewish Congregation of Shomrei Mishmeres. The Shomrei Mishmeres Congregation sold the building to the newly formed Jewish Historical Society in 1963. The Jewish Historical Society is now known as the Jewish Museum of Maryland.
Imagefile 089\IA 110657.JPG