Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number IA 1.0869
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Black and white photograph of crowd (with Governor McKeldin) standing on the sidewalk in front of the Lloyd Street Synagogue at the dedication program for the LSS historic plaque, April 5, 1965.
Photographer Lazarus, Millard
Date 04/05/1965
Condition Excellent
People McKeldin, Theodore R. (Governor)
Search Terms Lloyd Street Synagogue
Baltimore Hebrew Congregation
St. John the Baptist
Shomrei Mishmeres
Jewish Historical Society of Maryland
Jewish Museum of Maryland
Notes The Lloyd Street Synagogue was built in 1845 by the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. The Baltimore Hebrew Congregation expanded the building in 1860 then sold it in 1889 and constructed a new temple on Madison Avenue. A Lithuanian Roman Catholic Congregation, called St. John the Baptist, purchased the Lloyd Street building from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation and used it until 1905 when they sold the building to the Jewish Congregation of Shomrei Mishmeres. The Shomrei Mishmeres Congregation sold the building to the newly formed Jewish Historical Society in 1963. The Jewish Historical Society is now known as the Jewish Museum of Maryland.
Imagefile 086\IA 10869.JPG