|Scope & Content||Rosenthal's note pad|
Rosenthal's Inc. before the Civil War at Hanover and Dover Streets. The business later moved to Lexington Street, and then to Eutaw and Saratoga Streets. Bernard and Charles, sons of Samuel Rosenthal, were involved with the operation of the store.
An excerpt from the 1882 publication "Baltimore: Its Industrial Development, a commercial, historical and industrial review," describes the business as follows: "Among those firms who represent the dry goods trade in Baltimore, and have become well known through their honorable and straightforward manner of doing business we may appropriately mention S. Rosenthal and Co. who have been engaged in the special line of trade at their present location since 1860. They occupy for their business three floors each 30 x 80 feet in size, and carry an immense stock of foreign and domestic goods, such as silks, velvets, alpacas, ginghams, prints, muslins, sheetings, linens, clothes, cassimeres, and a variety of other fabrics, as well as a large stock of ladies' wrappings, coats, jackets, shawls, etc, all drawn from the best sources, and marked down at a small advance on the original cost. Fifteen salesmen are constantly employed, and the retail department is largely patronized by the residents of this city and surrounding counties, while goods of the wholesale department are shipped to all parts of the State. The individual members of the firm are S. Rosenthal and C. Beran who have made their establishment a favorite resort by their strict attention to business and the fine character of the stock at all times kept on hand."
Business, Jewish Owned
|Lexicon category||6: T&E For Communication|